Do what the most mentally tough people on the planet do—the Navy SEALs.
- They eat the elephant. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Take insurmountable goals and break them down into smaller objectives.
- They use visualization. They run vivid scenarios of themselves succeeding over and over inside their heads. This maximizes the chance of success when the time comes.
- They practice emotional control. They use breathing techniques such as the “4 by 4 for 4” (4 seconds in, 4 seconds out for 4 minutes) to keep their stress levels under control.
- They use self talk. They reframe external events in a positive light. They understand that it is not the EVENT but their INTERPRETATION that matters.
- They celebrate small victories. They see the beauty of small victories in tough times. This keeps morale high so they can keep fighting the good fight.
- They value their tribe. They care for their team. Lose the tribe and you lose everything.